Sunday, June 17, 2007

Amazing Lincoln

Terri --- Thanks for recapping our book club discussion. Fine job.

I’m still marveling over this book. I feel like I learned more about the Civil War in this 754 pages then I ever did in junior high.

Then again, maybe like A. J. Jacobs I was smarter back then or I’ve just forgotten a lot.

I still can’t believe the timing of his presidency. That the Civil War started within weeks of him being elected and that he was assassinated just days after the surrender.

I very much enjoyed reading about the deliberations made over every word in a speech and how the impact of all each cabinet member helped in the evolution of large announcements.

And I have much admiration for Lincoln and many of the cabinet members and generals after reading this book.

Christine

No comments: